Tuesday, October 12, 2004

teachers conference

I had the meeting with Tater's teachers, all 3 of them. Mrs. E, his science teacher, raved about what a wonderful student he is. How he always turns in his homework on time. He never acts out. He is the perfect student in her class, and he currently has a 92. She is quite proud of him, and claims he is one of her best students. Tater loves science so I wasn't surprised to hear that.

Sadly, the rest of his grades fall between 60-72. This is not good. Mr. F and Mrs. Z both agree that he would benefit from military kids club ( a support group for children of deployed soldiers). Luckily, they have one that meets at the school a few times a week. He is also signed up for tutoring 3 times a week. And is going to go to advisory for his handwriting.

Tater is such a tender soul. This deployment is causing his a great deal of stress. Not to mention the stress of the new school format. 5th graders switch classes and teachers. They also have lockers with combinations to remember. Sadly some nights he will stay awake all night worrying, or have nightmares that causes him to get very little sleep. I hope the MKC gives him some of the support that he needs.

At this point I feel really guilty. I don't give Tater all the time and attention that he needs. Satan and Fang end up getting the majority of my attention.They are still too young to fend for themselves, and some days I feel like they suck me dry.

But we do have a plan now, and Mr. F and Mrs. Z both agreed to give Tater a deadline. They are being generous and are allowing him to complete all of his missed assignments for partial credit. This should make some improvement in his grades.

I feel confident that we can all work together to get Tater back on track. Despite his bad grades, and his lack of responsibility recently. All 3 teachers said Tater was a joy to have in the class room. He is polite, kind and generous. He has a love of science and great potential.

Being the proud mother that I am, I interpreted this to mean that he will grow into the kind of man that will make me proud to have raised.

No comments: