Monday, September 27, 2004

the wedding video

I have recently found our wedding video. Satan, being as full of curiosity as she is, was dyeing to know what was on the tape. I patiently tried to explain that it was the movie of when DH and I were married. Which led to a huge discussion on what weddings are, and why people get married. I never realized how many questions an almost 4 year old would have regarding marriage and weddings.

Last evening she was feeling particularly sad about missing her daddy. Sadly she asked, "can I watch my daddy marry you?" Up until then it never occurred to me to show her the video. I was happy that she asked, so I let the kids stay up past their bed time to watch. Which had both good and bad results.

Tater was acting like any 10 year old boy would when subjected to something of the romantic nature. He cracked on everything. :( He made fun of my wedding dress. Told me I was ugly. He made fun of Blondie's big hair from hell. He laughed at the way Hoochie walked down the aisle. He laughed at the cake because it had beads on it. He went on and on about how dumb it is to put things that cannot be eaten on a cake. Which made sense until he added that he would have used those really cool candles that you can't blow out.

Since he is a 10 year old boy, he is fascinated with all things gross. He thought the red water in the decorative fountain looked like blood. Normally a fountain full of blood would be cool, but since it was sitting next to the cake? It was gross and disgusting. Duh, no one wants to eat cake that has been sitting next to a fountain full of blood.

Oh but he didn't stop there, he made fun of his Nana wearing black stockings and red shoes. I would have laughed at that, but by this point I was tired of his running commentary. I sent him to bed, and told him he wasn't allowed to talk until morning.

I'm not sure if this is just a stage he is going through? Or if he is acting up because he seeks male attention? Or did he really think he was being funny? He is a bit sarcastic, he gets it from me. But I'm afraid that he doesn't quite have the maturity to pull that off yet.

Fang showed little interest in the video. Although, at one point he did clap his hands and say, "good job!" heh

However, Satan loved it. She has never been so into a video before. She has watched it about 6 times now. She will point out all the people that she knows. Then we have to go through the list of those not on the video like her, Tater and Fang. The idea that none of them existed at that point in time is far beyond her understanding.

Today, after much pleading. We watched the video again. Since then Satan has showered me compliments. After the attitude Tater has had the past few weeks. Her unexpected sweetness really lifted my spirit. Here are a just a few of her gems,

"Mommy, you bootiful."

"You dwess is bootiful."

"I wike you pwetty hat."

So far my favorite is, "I wike you happy face when my daddy married you."

No comments: