Tuesday, June 15, 2004

John you will be missed.

John, a dear friend, and the most wonderful person passed away peacefully at his home on Saturday. He had suffered for the past few years with cancer, and the treatment. I am sad for Jane, his parents and his daughter.

One of my favorite memories of John.

John collected t-shirts. He claimed that he had a t-shirt for every occasion. Being the smart ass that I am, I was on a mission to prove him wrong. I was always asking him silly questions like "do you have a t-shirt for arbor day?" No matter what the occasion the answer was always yes. I finally asked him if he had a t-shirt to celebrate my birthday. Sadly, he did not. This gave me a brilliant idea.

A few days before my birthday, I set out on a mission to make John a Happy Birthday Crazybitch t-shirt. I wasn't going to make any t-shit. No, what I was going to make was the world's most hideous t-shirt. I bought a t-shirt, iron on transfers and iron on letters. I took the worst possible picture of myself that I could find. I used a photo editing program to add a huge feather head dress. Then I blew it up to 8x10. This made a very ugly picture of me even uglier. I was so proud. I ironed this monstrosity onto the front of the shirt. Then I put Happy Birthday Crazybitch on the back. Now John truly would have a t-shirt for every occasion.

The next day I was laughing like the crazy woman that I am, when I gave him the t-shirt. Telling him that he now had a t-shirt for every occasion. He didn't seem overly impressed. Oh no my t-shirt was not funny. I felt like a failure.

Later that evening we (a small group of friends and I) went out for dinner and drinks to celebrate my birthday. John showed up wearing my fugly t-shirt. Seeing this caused me to roll with laughter. We ate. We drank. We laughed at my ugly face. We laughed at John for wearing the most hideous t-shirt in the history of t-shirts. We laughed at CJ for throwing up on her shoes. We laughed a lot that night.

Later, when I enquired if the t-shirt was going to be worn each year on the most special of days(my birthday). John told me that my face had washed off, and the t-shirt was ruined. :( I think he was lying because he was secretly using my t-shirt to keep the mice out of his basement.

And that is one of my favorite memories of John.

No comments: